I remember how difficult and time consuming it was to find high quality boutique wholesale clothing vendors when I was first getting started online (I’m in the beauty space now).
And when you consider I was living pretty nomadically, wasn’t able to attend the big US based wholesale fashion tradeshows, and didn’t have a mentor… well it’s easy to see why it took a long time.
Through trial and error, I discovered how to smoke out really great wholesale vendors, how to check if they’re legit and, what you need to do and say to get them to sell to you. I explain everything in this post.
Tl:Dr… here are the main points
High Quality Boutique Wholesale Clothing Vendors: 6 Ways To Find ‘Em
- Do an in-depth Google search using your keywords – reverse image search is your friend
- Word of mouth referral – still hard to beat, even in 2018
- Check forums and Facebook groups – though be careful as lots of agents hang out there
- Look for up-to-date directories and B2B digital platforms – but make sure to do your due diligence
- Attend as many Trade shows as you can (either locally or in another location)
- The Brazen Profit Lab Black book of high quality boutique wholesale clothing
I also have a premium list of 75+ fashion wholesalers that you’re welcome to (I’ve added a few screenshots throughout) all you need to do is click the link below and let me know where I can send that to you.
Okay, now before we go through these steps, there are a couple of things it’s important to think about and be aware of, before you buy a single stitch of inventory:
- How to Buy Wholesale Clothing for Your Online Boutique (Youtube Playlist)
- How to Find Fashion Wholesale Suppliers
Firstly, it’s important to keep your eye on trends – especially those trends which just don’t seem to go away. And this doesn’t have to be hard, just scoot over to Instagram and get busy clicking–you’ll soon start to see patterns.
Now while I do recommend that you pay attention to trends, it’s important to make sure you only invest in a product that is going to have some longevity.
An great way to search for trends and figure out which type of clothing is getting a lot of searches or is selling well, is to check Amazon top-sellers and Google’s keyword planner tool.
Secondly, it’s important to make sure you understand the different types of boutique wholesale clothing vendor, and how they all work a little bit differently. I cover that in-depth over in this post.
6 Tips For Finding High End Boutique Wholesale Clothing
Do a Smart Google Search (pages 6-8 are where it’s at)
Good ole trusty Google is a great place to start when it comes to looking for high quality boutique wholesale clothing.
It’s important to remember though, that, many of the more established suppliers tend to have old and out-of-date websites.
And because of this, they don’t rank for any relevant keywords. This is why finding quality boutique clothing is so slow and difficult, as you don’t find the gems till pages 6-8.
If you’re looking for wholesale bohemian clothing?
Well you’re in luck!
Some great wholesale bohemian clothing vendors have sprouted up in the last few years. And because they are far more search-engine and marketing savvy, and these guys are pretty easy to locate online.
- How to Validate Your Business Idea (before you start your boutique)
- Online Boutique Launch Checklist: 24 Essential Tasks
- How to Find the Best Fashion and Accessory Wholesalers
Word of Mouth Referrals – Still the Number one Method in the World!
From the best steak restaurant in city, to the best high quality boutique wholesale clothing vendor – you can’t beat a word of mouth referral.
Sure! A referral comes with more weight if it comes from a friend.
But think about it?
There’s a reason that sites like FourSquare, Yelp, and others exist.
As consumers, we want to hear what other consumers have to say about the product and the company–not the companies carefully curated marketing message.
That leads me to my next point…. a really good place to find word of mouth referrals for high-quality boutique wholesale clothing is…
Forums and Facebook groups (the good ones… do your research)
Specialist online forums and Facebook groups are a great place to find other business owners willing to share their experiences.
It’s good to hangout in the group, read, ask questions, pay attention.
You can even use the search feature on Facebook and other platforms to look for certain topics. Many questions have been asked over and over.
One forum I really like is the Shopify forum.
You do need to remember though, that lots of wholesalers actually hangout in these groups acting as ‘store owners’.
So don’t forget to exercise caution, as everyone is not who they appear to be.
And don’t be afraid to reach out to people even if you don’t know them personally.
If they’re really another online boutique owners, then they’ll normally be sympathetic to where you are, and more than happy to share their experiences and recommendation with you (though don’t be surprise if they don’t share their store or marketing strategy with you)
Wholesaler Directories and B2B sites (buyer beware)
If you take your search for a high quality boutique wholesale clothing vendors over to a B2B website, there are a couple of things you need to be aware of. And this is it…
Many of the suppliers you see on these websites – IndiaMart for eg – are not actually really wholesalers. They are simply middlemen who connect you with the real wholesaler (for a fee).
You DO NOT want to work with this people. If possible, please go straight to the source.
Attend trade-shows either locally (or go to another state, and make an event of it)
If you get the opportunity to attend a fashion trade-show, then take it.
Nothing beats being able to feel the fabric, see the stitching and sizing, for yourself.
You also get to meet the people you’ll be working with, so this in an opportunity to make contact – even if you don’t buy straight away.
And let’s be honest – high quality wholesale clothing requires a bigger financial investment than buying some cheap, poorly sewn dresses from Rose (blank).
So everything you can do to make sure you’re fully clued up, is a good idea.
Get The Brazen Profit Lab Black Book of High Quality Boutique Wholesale Clothing
Then there’s the lazy girl option, no shade, I’m THAT girl. And that’s to…
It contains 68+ verified wholesalers of women’s fashion, accessory, jewellery, kids and infant products – all within a handy two-page spreadsheet.
This fashion wholesale boutique supplier directory doesn’t only give you their website, but also their email and first name (where possible).
HOW TO USE THE FASHION WHOLESALE BOUTIQUE SUPPLIERS LIST?
- There are two pages within the spreadsheet. On page one you’ll find wholesale vendors of children’s and infant products, clothes, accessories, educational toys, and other great products. On page two, you’ll find women’s fashion, jewellery, accessories, and other products
- Click through to the link of the site and take a look at the products available, if you like what you see, make a list of the items you’ll want to sell. I suggest creating a board on Pinterest.
- Take one of the email templates supplied with your wholesaler listing, edit it to fit your brand and requirements.
- C+P the name and email address of the wholesale vendor that you want to contact, and email them with a follow up scheduled for three days if they don’t reply.
- That’s it. You’re now one step closer to having a quality wholesaler or drop-shipper to supply products for your online store.
How to Know if Your High Quality Boutique Wholesale Clothing Vendor is Legit?
When you find a killer wholesale clothing vendor, it’s easy to get so swept up in your excitement, that you forget to do your due diligence.
No ma’am, we’re not going to do.
Even if you don’t go full FBI level, even following these few simple steps down below will help you avoid many of the most popular scams.
Simple Due Diligence Steps Anyone Can Follow
- Email the wholesale supplier and verify their address and phone number
- Buy a sample product so you can inspect the product
- Test the customer service team
- Check reviews online
Okay, so once you’ve found a selection of high quality boutique wholesale clothing vendors you’re happy to work with, the next step is requesting a quote–sometimes call a RFQ.
How to Request a Quote (and actually get a reply)
Make sure you approach this as a serious business inquiry. Below I’ve listed a few tips to help improve your outreach emails, so you can increase your chances of actually getting a response.
- Use their first name and approach them professionally from the get-go
- Be courteous, but make sure you get to the point – try and avoid too much pointless back and forth
- Don’t be vague – create a list of questions you want to ask in advance
- Follow up after three days if you don’t get a response
Okay, so that’s it, I hope you’ve found these tips on how to find high quality wholesale clothing vendors helpful, but if you’ve still got questions feel free to ask them in the comments.
Still Searching For Fashion Wholesalers For Your Boutique?